Hooray! It’s time for the Fourth Annual Pet Blogger Challenge, hosted by our friends Amy Burkett from Go Pet Friendly and Edie Jarolim from Will My Dog Hate Me. All pet bloggers are invited to join in and take a few minutes to encourage, motivate, and support each other. Let’s celebrate the successes of 2013, share what we’ve learned this year, and outline our visions for our blogs in 2014! Are you ready? Let’s go!
1. How long have you been blogging? Please tell us why you started blogging, and, for anyone stopping by for the first time, give us a quick description of what your blog is about.
I started my blog in March of 2011. Wow! Almost three whole years ago! Mostly, I just write about my crazy life with my adorable fur-kids, and take as many pictures of them as possible! 🙂
2. Name one thing about your blog, or one blogging goal that you accomplished during 2013, that made you most proud.
We lost our sweet girl on May 8th and unfortunately, I lost my desire to blog for several months. I love my kitties, but they pretty much sleep all day and don’t give me much to write about! 2013 wasn’t my best year as far as blogging goes!
3. When you look at the post you wrote for last year’s Pet Blogger Challenge, or just think back over the past year, what about blogging has changed the most for you?
Our life really changed in ways we had not anticipated when we lost Cali. We had her for most of our almost 15 year marriage (her birthday was January 19th, our anniversary, January 20th!) and our entire routine suddenly changed. Now we are starting over with a strong spirited little girl named Kenzie, and doing our best not to compare her to Cali. We are taking it one day at a time. 🙂
4. What lessons have you learned this year – from other blogs, or through your own experience – that could help us all with our own sites?
The friends you develop through blogging are some of the best on the planet. SERIOUSLY. I wouldn’t trade them for anything. We shared too much loss in 2013, but together, we supported each other. Someday I hope we get to have a big party so we can all actually meet in PERSON! I think the best part of blogging, is this community.
If you could ask the pet blogging community for help with one challenge you’re having with your blog, what would it be?
Well, if you could add a few hours to each day, it would be very helpful! 🙂
5. What have you found to be the best ways to bring more traffic to your blog, other than by writing great content?
Participating in blog hops, following and commenting on other blogs, and responding to comments on my blog.
6. How much time to do you spend publicizing your blog, and do you think you should spend more or less in the coming year?
I don’t spend any time publicizing my blog, mostly because my blog is more about fun and community for me. I need to spend more time writing blog posts for my business website and promoting it via social media.
7. How do you gauge whether or not what you’re writing is appealing to your audience?
Hmmm, I have no idea. I try not to worry about it. I write for fun and people either like me or they don’t. If they like me, they will keep reading, if not, they won’t. I don’t think it’s something I should really spend time worrying about.
How do you know when it’s time to let go of a feature or theme that you’ve been writing about for a while?
If I’m not having any fun doing it, I stop.
8. When you’re visiting other blogs, what inspires you to comment on a post rather than just reading and moving on?
I’m drawn to blogs that share the experiences, trials and tribulations, and celebrations they face with the animals in their life. All of it, not just the good stuff. I like knowing that I am not alone in my challenges and love reading about people that are as committed to their fur kids as I am.
9. Do you do product reviews and/or giveaways?
No. I’m not consistent or organized enough about my blog to do them!
If not, is this something you’d like to do more of? What hurdle is getting in your way?
Time and consistency -it’s probably not going to happen!
10. When writer’s block strikes and you’re feeling dog-tired, how do you recharge?
I go for a nice long walk. Sometimes I wish there was a way to record all of the great posts I write in my head when I’m out for a walk – especially since it’s all usually lost by the time I get back to the computer!
11. Have you ever taken a break from your blog? How did that go?
I took a break this year after we lost Cali for about 7 months. I missed my blogging friends and tried to keep up by reading their blogs and commenting, but it didn’t always happen.
Have you ever thought about quitting your blog altogether? What makes you stay?
Yes, but I would miss all of my blogging friends too much!
12. What goals do you have for your blog in 2014?
I’m hoping to share the “joys” of raising a puppy. I wanted to try to post a picture a day of Mackenzie, but I guess I didn’t realize how exhausted I would be! Stay tuned . .hopefully I’ll get my act together SOON and kick that into gear!
So there it is, will you join the challenge too? My goals for 2014 are to let whatever happens be okay, to love myself more, and to have more fun. I hope to blog often, but if I don’t, that’s going to be okay too. I hope 2014 is a great year for all of my blogging friends!