Last Thursday I was walking out of the bedroom when I spotted this on the floor:
It was too big to be a cat tooth, so I decided that it had to belong to Cali I tried to look in her mouth but couldn’t really see anything (have you ever tried to look in your dogs mouth?). She seemed fine, but still, I started to worry.
I’m pretty sure that this is what caused the broken tooth: (she was really going to town chewing this the other night!)
You know how it is . .if you “think” something is wrong, you start to notice that the dog is panting just a little bit more than usual, or seems a little more clingy than usual, and you make the call to the vet. Friday afternoon we took her in and we “sort of” confirmed that it was on the bottom right side. I say “sort of” because Cali did her best to keep us from actually looking in her mouth. Regardless, the vet said that we needed to remove the rest of the broken tooth.
I have a lot of angst about putting my 13 year old dog under anesthesia, but I also want to make sure that she is not in pain. The vet drew blood, gave us some pain pills, and we were off. Her tooth extraction is scheduled for this Friday.
This morning, we made a decision to stop giving her the pain pills because she was was awake all night panting. Since then she has been acting like her happy self. I still haven’t been able to actually get a good look at the broken tooth and she has been eating well, chewing on her tennis balls, and cleaning the cat bowls. We haven’t seen any signs of her being in pain.
This afternoon my hubby and I both decided that we don’t want her be put under anesthesia, so we are going to call and cancel the appointment tomorrow. I didn’t hear back from the vet today, so I’m not sure how her blood work looked, but for now, we are going to take the “wait and see” approach.
What do you think? Do you ever go with your gut instead of the advice of your vet? I want to do what is best for my dog and for some reason, I just don’t feel comfortable putting her under.